On May 30th, Google will remove the "Allow less secure apps" setting. This change will inhibit your ability to send email from Inform if you use Gmail. Below are instructions for updating your google account in order to continue to use it for sending email in Inform.
Setting up Gmail App Passwords
1. Log in to the Gmail account.
2. Click the profile picture in the top right corner (may be a circle with a letter if no profile picture is loaded).
3. Click on Manage your google account this should bring you to: https://myaccount.google.com/
4. In the left menu click on Security.
5. In the Signing in to Google section, find App Passwords and click the > to continue.
6. If you do not see “App Passwords” that means that 2 factor authentication is not turned on for the account and will need to be setup.
7. Sign into Gmail again.
8. Next generate the app password. Click on Select App and choose Mail, then click on Select device and choose Other. Enter "Inform" for the name and click Generate.
- A yellow box with a 16 character password will appear. Google provides the password in 4 sections of 4 characters but is used as a long 16 character password.
You have completed setting up the app password for Inform. The following instructions are to setup the authentication for the company email and/or individual user email.
Setup Gmail App Password For ALL Accounts/Default
1. Navigate to the Company Master page (File > Company > Master)
2. Navigate to the SMTP Server Information tab then click on the Edit button.
3. SMTP Server Address enter smtp.gmail.com
4. SMTP Communication Port enter 587
5. SMTP Authentication Login enter the Gmail account used in the previous section.
6. SMTP Authentication Password enter the 16 character app password we created in the previous section.
7. Set SMTP Secure Connection Required to Y
8. Test sending an email in Inform. The sender should be the Gmail account email address.
Gmail App Password Setup For A Specific Inform User
Note: If the Inform user is using a different Gmail account then repeat the steps in Setting up Gmail App Passwords for that Gmail account.
1. Navigate to File > Company > User Master.
2. Look at the list of users and select the one you want to setup Gmail app password
3. Scroll to the Email column and enter the Gmail address associated with the App Password, for instance firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Email Address enter the Gmail address.
5. Email Password enter the 16 character app password we created in Setting up Gmail App Passwords section.
6. Click Save
7. Test sending an email while logged into inform as the username you just modified. The sender should be the Gmail account email address.
The following steps will need to be repeated for each Inform user that you want to use the newly created Gmail App Password.