By default, Inform commits inventory when an order is placed, and then automatically releases backordered quantities when the stock is received on the purchase order.
You can, however, schedule when backordered quantities will be committed. You schedule the Requested Ship Date, and then Inform calculates the quantity based on the value of the Company Master flag, Commit Inventory Before Ship Date #Days.
Note: When it comes to purchasing for orders using backorder commitment scheduling, you may want to consider using Projected Purchase Order instead of Special Purchase Requisitions. The Special Purchase Requisition screen will suggest ordering the full quantity ordered of a backorder commitment schedule line item, while Projected Purchase Order will instead take committed quantities into account.
- Create a sales order, and make sure that all products are added.
Tip: Using the Field Chooser, add the following columns to the Line Items Grid: Commit Backorder Quantities, Quantity Backordered Committed, Quantity Backordered Uncommitted, and Quantity Unscheduled.
- Right -click a product, and choose Backorder Commitment Schedule.
The Requested B/O Schedule popup appears with the Commit Backorder Quantities check box selected and no other options available. See that the Quantity Backordered is equal to the Quantity Backordered Committed: all backordered quantities will be committed as soon as the sales order is saved.
- If you don't want to commit backordered quantities right away, and instead schedule when they will be committed based on a requested ship date or commit date, clear the Commit Backorder Quantities check box.
- Click the Add B/O Scheduled Order check box.
- Note the Balance of backordered quantity at the bottom of this pop-up. Now in the new line that appears in the grid, type the following
- Qty: The total quantity of backordered product that you want to schedule a commitment date.
- Requested Ship Date: The date on which you must ship the product to arrive when the customer has requested it.
- Commit Date: The date on which you want Inform to commit the backordered inventory to this order. By default, this date is calculated using the value of Company Master flag, Commit Inventory Before Ship Date #Days. You may change it to any date must be prior to the Requested Ship Date.
- Click OK.
The backordered quantity is uncommitted with the schedule saved,
Note: Only backordered quantities can be uncommitted. If you try uncommit a shippable quantity, Inform will ignore than uncommit. The line item will remain committed.