Featured Categories display a 3 x 2 block of product categories that you want to promote in your store. You can use this widget to help your customers find common products or to highlight special sale or clearance items. Featured Categories typically appear on the home page.
To add featured categories, first decide which categories you want to feature. Then create the Featured Categories widget, add it to a page, and finally specify the categories that you want to include. See also Creating a widget in the Magento Help Center.
When you create a Features Categories widget, you specify the Category ID of each category to include. Therefore, before creating the widget, you should make note of those IDs.
- In Magento, go to Catalog > Categories.
- On the left side of the Categories page, use the tree to drill down and select the category that you want to feature.
- Note the ID in parentheses at the top of the page, as in the example below.
- Repeat for each of the 6 categories that you want to feature.
- Go to Content > Widgets.
- On the Widgets page, click the Add Widget button.
- You'll see the Widgets Settings page.
- From the Type list, select Category Listing.
- From the Design Theme list, select DDI Theme.
- Click Continue.
- Type a Widget Title. and then choose where you want it to appear from the Assign to Store Views list.
- Under Layout Updates, specify where you want the widget to appear. Click Add Layout Update.
- From the Display on list, select Specified Page.
- From the Page list, select the page on which you want the Featured Categories to appear. For example, to display it on your home page, choose CMS Home Page.
- From the Container list, choose where on the Page Layout you want the Featured Categories to appear. For example, to display it directly under the Content block, as shown in the example above, choose Main Content Bottom. To learn about a standard page layout, see Standard Block Layout in the Magento Help Center.
- Click the Widget Options tab.
- In the Category IDs box, type the six categories that you want to feature on the homepage, each separated by commas.
- Click Save. To view changes within the site, refresh your website cache.