Processing a returned check from a POS order
- How do I process a POS return when a customer's check did not clear?
- When a customer pays for a point of sale order using a check, and then that check is returned, you will want to void the payment, but not modify the inventory because your customer still has it.
- To do this, create a Point of Sale Order for the customer whose check was returned.
- Since no merchandise is being returned, you must process the order with a miscellaneous charge that is linked to your Bad Debt account or another account specified by your accountant.
- Enter the Miscellaneous Charge amount as a negative amount of the check.
- Then enter the Tendered amount as the negative amount of the check, and click Check as the payment type.
- Once you post this order as part of your normal POS posting, the amount of the check will be deducted from your system bank account.