If you use Gmail, you may have recently received a notification from Google that they are changing their security settings to limit access to less secure apps starting October 31, 2019.
To learn more about Google's handling of less secure apps, see
What does this mean for me?
If you integrate Gmail with Inform for notifications, this security change will block Inform from sending an email using your Gmail as your SMTP provider unless you update your configuration.
What do I need to do?
Before October 31, you must
1. Determine who needs the configuration change
If each Inform user has his/her own Gmail address set up in Inform, then you need to complete the Google Account configuration for each and every user.
If you have a generic login configured in your Company Master only, then that is the only account you need to update.
2. Configure your Google account
Note: Some basic instructions are provided for your convenience. Google procedures are owned by Google. Always make sure to check their instructions as your primary resource for answers.
In your Google Account manager, Turn off less secure apps
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
- Toggle Allow less secure apps to Off, and then Save.
Turn on 2-Step Verification from Gmail
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/security.
- Under Signing in to Google, click 2-Step Verification.
- And then follow the prompts on your screen to enable 2-Step Verification.
Generate a less secure apps password
- Once 2-Step Verification is enabled, you must set up App passwords. On the same page under Signing in to Google, click App passwords.
- Follow the directions on your screen to verify your identity, and then choose an app and a device for which you want to set up verification. In the example below,
- Under Select app, choose Mail.
- Under Select device, choose Windows Computer.
- Then click Generate.
- Gmail will then generate a 16 digit password to be used in third party applications.
Before closing your Google Account settings, copy this password so you can add it to Inform.
- Click Done.
3. Update Inform
Update the company configuration
If you are using a single login through the Inform's Company configuration, then update your Company Master SMTP settings:
- Go to File > Company > Master.
- Click the SMTP Server Information tab.
- Double-click the SMTP Authentication Password value, and paste the 16-digit password.
- Click Save.
Update each user's email
If you are configured by user, then replace the SMTP Authentication Password with the 16 digit generated code.
- Go to File > Company >Users.
- For each user receiving email. generate the 16-digit code, and then paste that code into the Email Password column for that user.
- Click Save.