Typically, you post cash receipts by customer. However, you can also post receipts by invoice number using the Cash Receipts by Invoice Entry screen. Entering cash receipts by invoice number rather than by customer is useful when you have payments that are not directly tied to the customer account or when you have a single payment that applies to multiple customers.
All cash receipts entered here are added to the next posting batch automatically.
- Go to Accounting>Accounts Receivable>Cash Receipts Invoice Entry.
- Make sure that the Bank G/L and Posting Date are correct.
- From the Payment Type list, select the type of payment taken.
- If paying by check, then type the Check Number, and then press the Tab key.
- Type the payment Amount.
- Click the Add Invoice button. A new row appears in the Invoices table.
- In the Document column, type the number of invoice that is being paid, and then press the Tab key. Invoice details populate the remainder of the row. By default, the full Balance Due appears in the Cash Applied column.
- Verify and update the amounts in the Cash Applied, Discount Taken, and Adjustment, as well as the additional Tax, Freight, and Misc Charges.
- Confirm the Balance LeftThe unused dollar amount of the payment (equal to Check Amount minus Cash Applied). on the lower right corner.
Continue to Add Invoices until all receipts are posted and your Balance Left is zero.
- Click Save.
All receipts are added to the next batch for posting.