In this procedure, you will learn how to create a new Purchase Order. Creating a purchase order is a three step process.
Note: Although you may create manual purchase orders, note that they do not take advantage of Inform ERP's reorder quantity analysis and simplified workflow integration. Once you have sufficient data, we recommend using the projected purchase order process unless your order is an exception.
The Header section of Purchase Order entry is the starting point for creating a new purchase order.
- Go to Purchasing>Purchase Order.
- Type the vendor's name, number, address or phone into the Vendor field, and then select the Vendor ID hyperlink from the list that appears. Press the Tab key.
Note: Order Date, Terms, and WarehouseThe location where the merchandise will be sent or resides. are defaulted, but can be overridden. Other options such as Ship ViaThe primary shipping method for the customer. For example, a walk in customer should be set to Pick Up or Will Call to save time during order entry. Note: Truck deliveries for specific days can be set from the Truck Routes tab. may be required.
- Optional: Type Special InstructionsNotes to the vendor. They are clearly visible on the order. for the vendor.
- Optional: To set date and cost options, click the Other tab in the lower left panel.
- F.O.BFreight on Board. Type the party who is responsible for paying the loading and transportation costs. This will print on the Purchase Order and Receiving Ticket paperwork.
- Freight Terms The Freight Terms for the Purchase Order. These terms do not print on the Purchase Order or Receiving Ticket.
- Requested DateThe date on which you would like to receive the merchandise from the vendor. Prints clearly on the order.
- Est Pmt DateEstimated Payment Date. The earliest estimated date that you should expect to pay the invoice for the Purchase Order. This date is calculated based on the order date and your terms with the vendor.
- Est Del DaysEstimated Delivery Days. The estimated number of days from the Order Date that it will take for the merchandise on the Purchase Order to be received. This estimate is used to update any linked Sales Orders (as well as the Product Analysis screen) with an expected delivery date.
- Update S/O CostTo update the cost of the item on any linked Sales Orders if the cost on the Purchase Order is changed, choose Yes. This applies only to Sales Orders that are linked to the Purchase Order. To leave the Sales Order cost unchanged, select No. To update the cost of only non-stock items on linked Sales Orders if the cost on the Purchase Order is changed, select Non-Stock.
- Disable Price Rollup Prevents the costs on the Purchase Order from triggering any Price Rollups that are set to be based on the C2, C3 or C5 Cost fields (which are automatically updated each time a Purchase Order is received and/or invoiced. Typically, you select this opton if you are receiving a special deal from the vendor on a one-time purchase and do not want your prices or loaded costs updated to reflect this discount.
- Disable Last Cost UpdatePrevents the C5 cost of all items on the Purchase Order from being updated upon receiving.
You can add products to the purchase order from the Details panel.
- Make sure the Detail tab on the left side navigation bar is selected.
- Click in the first cell of the grid, under the Product Number column, and type the product number, description, or keyword. Click the product number link of the item you want to add. Press the Tab key.
Orders created via Create purchase orders from open backorders or Create a manual purchase order will have the vendor predefined.
- Click in the Quant Ordered cell and type the desired quantity. (You may tab through the options as well as click in each).
- Check the Net Price and update it if required. See Specify the net price
- To enter CommentsInternal: Not visible to the vendor, but can be seen on the screen (not printed). External: Visible to the vendor; provides additional description of the product if needed. or specify Vendor Part NumberThe product code used by the vendor to identify the item. Prints on the order alongside the product code. You can update the part numbers during PO entry as well as from File>Product>Master, Vendors., right-click a product and choose these options from the menu.
- To add another product, insert a new row by pressing the Tab key or Add Line Item, and then repeat this procedure.
- Click Save.
You can now review and finalize the order.
- You are now on the Final page of the Purchase Order.
- On the Print panel, you may Print Purchase Order or Print Receiving Ticket, which provides a list of expected products for the warehouse to use upon .
- To send the purchase order, click Send.
Note: If you have the Auto Attach Purchase Order when Sending set to Yes in the Company Master, then after the email is sent, Inform will attach a copy of it in PDF format on the Attachments tab.
- Optionally, confirm delivery by clicking Delivery Confirmation . To learn more, see Confirm a P/O delivery