Inform integrates with UPS for freight and shipping of B2C orders. To enable B2C retail on your eCommerce site, you must set up a UPS account, create Ship Via options for UPS in Inform, and configure shipping options.
UPS API integration allows your eCommerce website to calculate freight amounts for orders that will be shipped by UPS. It does not print shipping documents or provide tracking information for the orders.
If you already have a UPS Account, you can skip this first step. You will need the username and password to log in.
- Once you have completed the account registration process, log in to your account at www.UPS.com.
- Click the Support tab, and then on the left side of the screen click Technology Support>Developer Resource Center>UPS Developer Kit.
- Under the How to Get Started section, click on the Request an access key link.
- Click the Request Access Key button in the bottom right corner of the screen. The access key information will be emailed to the email address entered on your UPS account. You can enter a secondary contact as well.
- In Inform, go to File > Company > Inform eCommerce.
- Click the Ship Via tab.
- Type the Access License Number from your API Access Key, your UPS Account Number, and your User Name and Password for your log in.
- Click Save.
UPS offers several shipping options (Ground, Next Day Air, UPS Standard, etc.) that you can allow your customers to select during the checkout process. Each UPS Shipping option must be linked to an individual Ship Via within Inform. Freight amount is calculated for each order based on the following information:
- Customer's ship via zip code
- Zip code of your selling warehouse's address
- Freight service selected
- Item weight (adjusted for items that have a flat rate or are marked as not to be shipped via UPS)
First, create the Ship Via code(s) in the Ship Via screen. Once the codes are created, link them to their appropriate UPS service type under the Ship Via tab in the Inform eCommerce screen.
- Select File > Company > Ship Via.
- Click the New button in the bottom toolbar.
- Type a reference code in the Ship Via Code box and then press the Tab key.
This code will not display online and is only for reference within Inform. Ship Via codes are limited to a maximum of 5 characters and cannot include special characters (@#$^"). If the code already exists it will display information for that Ship Via and you will need to repeat step 2.
- Type a description of the Ship Via in the Description box. This will display online exactly as it is entered in this field, including capitalization.
- Leave the Tax Code, Truck, Schedule Lead Days, and Warehouse fields blank. If you would like to add a surcharge percent to the calculated freight amount, enter the percent in the UPS Surcharge field. The customer will not see this surcharge as a separate amount; it will be included in the freight calculation. For example, if the freight is calculated at $10 and there is a 2 entered as the surcharge, the customer will see $10.20 as the freight amount for the order.
- You may also want to check off the additional options listed below.
- Auto B/O Release: select this option if you are currently using Automatic Backorder Release to fill your backorders and would like orders with this Ship Via included. Also check the Print B/O Release box to have the backorder release pick ticket printed for orders with this Ship Via.
- Auto Misc Charge: select this option this box to charge customer the Miscellaneous Charge amount entered in their Customer Master for orders with this Ship Via.
- Click Save .
Once you have created a Ship Via for each UPS service type that you want to offer, you can link them to the appropriate service type in the Inform eCommerce screen.
- Select File > Company > Inform eCommerce.
- Click the Ship Via tab.
- In the UPS Account InfoFor Retail B2C (Business to Consumer) eCommerce. Enter your UPS account information, including the Access License Number, Account Number, User Name, and Password. Inform uses this information to determine UPS Shipping Rates when the customer checks out. panel, specify your company's credentials. Inform uses this information to calculate shipping rates at checkout.
- Under Anonymous Browsers, click Add Ship Via.
- In the Ship Via column of the new row, type the Ship Via code and press Tab, or search for the Ship Via, and then select it from the list. The Description auto populates.
- Drop down the UPS Svc Type list and choose the one that most closely describes this Ship Via type. Your selection here will appear on the eCommerce checkout page.
- To remove a Ship Via, click the X at the end of the row.
Additionally, you can include alternate Ship Via options, such as a Pick Up or Will Call Ship Via if necessary. Freight amounts will only be calculated for Ship Via's linked to a UPS Service Type.
- Click Save.
Since freight is calculated based on weight, you must specify a weight for all products that will be shipped by UPS . Go to File>Product>Master. On the Setup page, click the Purchasing tab.
Products with no weight entered will prevent the user from checking out .
When you enable UPS integration, UPS shipping calculations are automatically calculated based on weight. In some cases, however, you may want to override the automated UPS calculation for website products that require added shipping charges. For example, uniquely shaped or special handling items may not have their shipping cost calculated accurately based on their weight. For these items, you can disable UPS shipping for the product or setting a flat shipping rate. This flat rate should be entered for the unit of measure that customers use when they purchase the item. This flat rate is based on the Default Price Unit of Measure, displayed under the Information tab in the Product Master. When a user checks out with flat rate shipping items in their cart, the flat rate notification will display below each flat rate item (shown below). The flat rate will be added to the shipping cost calculated for any additional items in the cart.
- Go to File>Product>Master.
- On the Setup page, click the Web Options tab.
- Select the Disable UPS ShippingNotifies customers that the product cannot be shipped via UPS. The customer can order the item separately and choose an alternate Ship Via. check box. When a customer chooses to purchase this product, the system displays a message that the product cannot be shipped via UPS. If the customer checks out with UPS as the Ship Via, the system removes the ineligible item from the order. The customer has the option to order the item separately using a shipping method other than UPS.
- If you want to use UPS Shipping, but set a flat rate, then make sure the Disable UPS Shipping check box is clear, and then in the Flat RateType a flat shipping cost for the item rather than calculating the shipping cost based on weight. box, type a flat shipping cost for the item. When this item is included in an order, the Flat Rate amount will be used as the shipping cost instead of the amount calculated by weight. The Flat Rate amount is applied per Default Price Unit of Measure (specified on the Product Master > Main tab).
Note: These settings apply if your UPS account is set up under the Ship Via tab in the Inform eCommerce Screen. UPS Ship Via's must be set to indicate the service method they use. They apply to orders placed online only and will not affect orders entered manually.