Create web categories and subcategories to organize the products on your eCommerce site.
You may create up to three levels of categories to classify products. Once you have created categories and subcategories, you can assign products to the general category, a subcategory, or the second level subcategory. However, products can be assigned to only one of these category levels.
Would appear on your eCommerce site as follows:
- Go to File > Product > Web Category.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add Main Category. Options in the Details panel become enabled.
- In the Code box, type a unique reference code for the web category, such as PAPER, and then press the Tab key.
Tip: Choose a unique name for each web category code. The system rejects duplicate codes and does not allow changes once a code is saved. We recommend that you create sub categories using a prefix or suffix on the Sub Category code to ensure that you do not duplicate reference numbers across categories. To change a code, you must delete it and then re-enter it with the correct information. If the code already has products assigned to it, be sure to reassign them to the new category. You can do this manually or through Mass Change. See Update multiple records simultaneously
- In the Name box, type a user friendly name for the web category, such as Paper & Packaging Products. This name displays on your site as entered, so verify spelling and capitalization.
- If you have branch-specific websites, use the Branches list to select the site where this web category should display. If you leave this field blank, this category will display on all sites. This field applies to web categories only, not sub categories.
- Select an Image to display for this web category. If the file is locally stored on your computer, click on the folder to the left of the Image field. Click on the magnifying glass to the right of the field if the image is stored on a network folder. A drop down menu will display all of the available files in the folder. Click on the name of the file in the list to link it to the web category.
Tip: Recommended web category image size is 100 pixels x 100 pixels.
- Click Save. The web category is added to the Web Categories list.
- To change the sort order of web categories on the website, use the arrows on the left side of the screen, or right-click and select Reset Layout to drag and drop lines from one location to another.
- Click Save.
You create subcategories the same way you create web categories. You can designate it a subcategory in one of two ways.
- Before creating the subcategory, select the parent web category from the list, and then click Add Sub Category.
A new row is added beneath the category you selected. Complete the Details panel as before. The category is added as a subcategory of your selection.
- If you have already added a web category, but you want to make it a subcategory of an existing web category, click and drag it onto the new parent.
Tip: Use the Right Arrow button to make the selected category a subcategory of the one above; use the Left Arrow button to push the category to a higher level, such as a top level web category.