You can create custom fields for Customers, Products, Vendors, Contacts, Customer Jobs, Ship Tos, Salespeople, or Activity using the Company Custom Field Builder. These fields become part of those element's Master file.
Custom fields are useful for exporting additional information that will be used outside the system.
Once created, you can view and apply custom fields in the master files, and you can create custom reports that include this data.
Although you cannot create custom fields in mass, you can update them in bulk using the Custom Field Import.
The remainder of this topic describes how to create custom fields. At the end of the topic, you will find links to topics about viewing those fields, updating in mass, and using them in reports.
- Go to File > Company > Custom Fields.
- Click New.
- Under Field Details, drop down the Owner list and select the Master File in which you want this field to display, for example, Product .
- In Field Dictionary box, type name of the control as it will display in the Report Writer data dictionary. Use all capital letters with no spaces or special characters, for example COLOR.
- From the Field Type list, select the type of control you want to create. The Preview area updates based on your selection. You may choose
- Text Box: a single line text box.
- Numeric: a box formatted for numeric entry. In the Preview area, type the number of Decimal Places you want to enable, and then press the Tab key.
- Date: a date formatted field with a drop down calendar.
- True/False: a check box for on/off selections.
- Option List: a drop down box. In the Preview area, type each item you want to include in the list into the Item Description box, clicking Add after each one. To set the default selection, drop down the list and select it, making sure it is visible in your list (other list items will be hidden)
- Multi-line Text: a multi-line note box.
- In the Field Display Name box, type the field label as it will appear in the Custom Fields tab in the selected master file. This name can include spaces and special characters, for example. Box Color.
- To require this field for all new customers, products, or vendors, select the Required check box .
- Click Save.
The new control appears in the Custom Field list.
- You can now