You can set up a virtual warehouse where you track products consigned at a customer's location, owned and maintained by the distributor and replenished through Stock Transfers. In this configuration, the salesperson routinely visits and counts the inventory to determine usage.
DDI recommends consulting with DDI Customer Care before adding or modifying any warehouse settings.
- Go to File > Company > Warehouse.
- Click New.
- The system assigns the next sequential warehouse code. Complete the Short Name and Address information. We recommend that this information match the customer information.
- From the Warehouse Type list, choose Consign to Customer. The Consign to Customer Options appear.
- In the Customer box, type the customer number of the customer where the merchandise will be consigned.
- In the Consign Whse box, click and choose the warehouse from which inventory will be replenished.
- Click Save.
- With the Customer Consignment Warehouse open, as described above, click the Consignment Product tab.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add Consignment Product.
- In the new Consignment Product row that appears, type the Product number that you want to consign, including the Min Quantity and the Max Quantity that you want to keep in stock. When inventory drops below the Min Quantity, stock should be transferred from the replenishment warehouse to the customer site.
- Repeat for all products that you want to add.
- Click Save.
Typically a salesperson counts the inventory during on site customer visits. The salesperson can then use the standard physical inventory process to record the counts. See Run physical inventory for a cycle count.
- Go to Inventory > Stock Transfer > Stock Transfer Entry.
- Transfer stock from your primary warehouse to your customer consignment warehouse. You may have to manually type the consignment warehouse into the To Warehouse box, rather than select it from the list.
- To automate the transfer based on minimum and maximum quantities you configured, click the Customer Consignment Replacement button.
- For step by step details, see Transfer stock between warehouses.