You can assign multiple tax codes to a Ship Via method. Tax codes are most commonly used for Pick Up or Will Call shipping methods where the customer should be charged the local tax rate of your Branch. From the Branch Tax page on the Ship Via Master, you can set a tax code for each Branch. When this Ship Via is selected on a Sales Order, the tax code will be overridden. Non-taxable customers (as defined in the Customer Master) will not be charged tax, regardless of the tax code on the order.
It's also possible to assign multiple tax codes per Branch. When set, customers will default to using the first Branch tax code; though they can be set to use a specific Branch tax code. This allows for situations when the customer picks up product (and therefore should pay a different tax rate then their own), but they should not pay the local rate of the Branch either. In this scenario, the customer can be pointed to another tax code, specifically for the Ship Via.
This is a very specific scenario and used only in states with complex tax laws. If you're not sure whether you need this configuration, contact DDI Customer Care.
- Go to the Ship Via Master as described above, and open the Ship Via you want to configure.
- Click the Edit button.
- Click the Branch Tax tab.
- In the Tax Codes column, select a tax code for each branch as needed.
- Click the Save button.
- If your Ship Via for pick ups has multiple tax codes assigned to it, go to File > Customer > Master, and open the applicable customer.
- Click Edit.
From the Setup page, click the Credit tab.
- Under Tax Options, select a Branch Pick Up Tax Code Pointer, ex. 1. The numbers available correspond to the order of the Branches listed on the Branch Tax tab in the Ship Via screen.
- Click Save.