This article describes how to enable printing through Inform, and how to configure printer defaults. Additionally, it contains instructions on how to add printers to the DDI Server.
For a list of supported printers, see Supported printers.
- All printers connected to Inform must be black and white, PCL 5, or PDF compatible laser printers.
- Factory/native drivers are compatible, but PCL 5/E gives the fastest print performance.
PCL 5/E compatibility is REQUIRED for check printing.
- We recommend Hewlett Packard monochrome laser printers.
- Before adding a printer to Inform, you must install it on your network and make sure that your server can see that network printer. You may need assistance from your local IT department.
- All printers must be assigned a static IP (or reserved DHCP) on the network and be accessible (via network) to the Inform application server.
- We do not recommend sharing a local printer.
- We recommend dedicating all printers used by Inform to Inform ERP only. Do not share them with other resources. This should prevent print spooler issues. If you must share the printer, it is best to install the printer a second time under a different name to ensure it will not interfere with Inform print jobs.
The first step is to install the printer on the DDI server. Inform sends print jobs directly to the server, not the user’s local computer. Therefore printers must be installed on the DDI network, and you must obtain the printer’s IP Address prior to setup.
- From the server, open the Control Panel and navigate to the Printer option.
- Click Add a Printer
- In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a local printer.
- Select the Create a new port option. From the drop down menu, select Standard TCP/IP Port.
- Enter in the Printer’s Network IP Address. For training purposes, use one of the printers already setup in the office. Check with your trainer for the IP Address.
- Select HP LaserJet 4 for the driver selection. This is required for PCL printing only (PDF printing can use the printer’s official driver). Note you may need to select the Windows Update option to obtain this driver if it is not already available.
- Name your printer.
Note: Spaces are not compatible in printer names. Use an underscore ( _ ) in its place. (Ex: SALES_OFFICE). Do not share the printer.
You can add, view, and edit the printers registered to Inform from the Printers Master.
- Go to File > Company > Printers.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add Printer.
- On the new row that appears, specify details about the printer.
- If this is your first printer, type the Queue number it "1," which represents the default printer. Number additional printers sequentially.
- The Printer Name cell lists all printers installed on your system. Choose the one you want to connect to Inform ERP.
- Do not select Laser Printer
- Do not select Print Logo
- Do not select Check Printer
- Select Check Printer
- Select Use PCL
- If it is a Laser Printer, select this check box.
- If you want your company logo to print on this printer, select the Print Logo check box. Do not select this option for label printers.
- To print your bank account number, select the Check Printer check box. Select this option for your check printer only.
- To print using the PCL5 format, select the Use PCL check box. Otherwise, Inform defaults to print to PDF. To determine which format to use, see your printer's documentation.
Note that checks must be printed in PCL5.
- Click Save.
Tip: Logos and some miscellaneous printer setup may require billable licensing and configuration by DDI System Customer Care.