In this scenario, you will learn how to log a deposit the customer leaves prior to shipment of goods.
Create a new Sales Order as described in How to create a sales order.
Click the Detail tab along the left side of the page, and add products as described in How to create a sales order.
- Click the Final tab.
- On the Final page, click the Deposits tab.
Note: If you do not see the Deposits tab, then this functionality has not been fully configured. See Set up a deposit invoice workflow.
- Click Create Deposit .
- Type either a deposit Amount or Percent. Note Whichever you type, the other will update automatically with the correct value. For example, if the sales order is $70, and you type 50 into the Percent box, the Amount box will automatically show 35,
Type an invoice Message, and then click Save.
- On the Print Document pop-up that appears, you may choose to Print, View, Send, or Save the document, depending on your needs.
- On the Final page, click the Deposits tab again. If you want to Allow Shipments w/o Received Deposit , then click Edit, select that check box, and then click Save.
Note: This procedure creates a deposit on the customer's account. As an alternative, consider using POS Deposits to leave a deposit on a specific order (commonly used in Showrooms).
- The deposit invoice is created immediately on the customer's account.
- Accounts receivable can apply the customer's payment using Cash Receipt Posting.
- Once the invoice is paid, the deposit amount is applied against the original order, with a negative Misc Charge.
- The order can now be shipped and invoiced as normal.