In this scenario, you will renumber an existing customer or merge it into another customer.
Important! You cannot undo these changes after you have merged or renumbered a customer.
- Go to File>Customer>Master.
- Open the customer that you want to merge or renumber.
- Click Edit located on the bottom toolbar.
- Right-click the Customer Number, and then click Change Number.
- On the Change Customer Number page that appears, choose whether to Process Immediately or Overnight.
Note: Based on the amount of historical data, it may actually take up to several minutes to update "immediately."
- Type the new customer number into the To Number box, and then press the Tab key.
- If you have entered a new customer number, then you will see a confirmation message that the customer does not exist. To accept the creation, click Yes on the confirmation message, and then click OK to complete the process.
If the new number already exists, then the old customer is merged rather than renumbered.
More info: This process reviews all transactions from this customer including invoices, sales history, and payment history. The customer number on the transactions will be re-numbered, eliminating all references to the original number. Order and invoice numbers will not change. If the new customer number is already an existing customer account, then both accounts will be merged into one single account. All Contacts and Attachments from the original account will be added to the existing customer. New Ship To's are created for each of the Ship To on the original customer; Ship To numbers will not be the same, but history follows the Ship To on the new account.