You can calculate averages for a single field within an ARW report without using the calculated field functionality. Average calculations are similar to the calculations for totals and subtotals, as long as they are calculated on a single field. If you are looking to average two separate fields, you will need to use a calculated field formula.
Like Totals and Subtotals, averages can be calculated for groups of data within the report, or for the report as a whole. Before you add an average field for a group, be sure that you have a Group Heading set for the field that you want to use to break up the average. For example, if you want to average the invoice dollar value by salesperson, you would need Group Headings for the salesperson field. The example below will create an average of the Invoice Amount for each Salesperson.
For this example, we will calculate the average dollar value of a salesperson's orders for the month using the Invoice Amount field.
Open a report with the subtotaled groups, such as the one you worked with in Add subtotals to an ARW report
In the Section Reports panel, click TextBox and drag it to the Header, Footer or Detail section of the report.
If you are placing the average in a Footer, be sure that the Group Footer number matches the Group Header that contains the field that you are using to break down the average.
For best practice, rename the TextField after you place it: click the field and type a new name. This name is for internal use only and will not display on the generated report.
In this example, we'll place the average in the Footer and rename it Average.
To complete the average, you must instruct ARW how to interpret that new text field to Average the total yearly sales.
- With the new text field selected, scroll to the bottom of the Page Layout to the Design area.
- In the Data section, locate the DataField property. From the value menu beside it, select the data that you want to sum, for example, Customer_YTDSales.
- Scroll to the Summary section, and set the following:
- DistinctField: This is the same data you selected above, for example, Customer_YTDSales.
- SummaryFunc: Determines the type of calculation to perform. For this example, choose Avg.
- Summary Group: This is the group on which you are calculating the subtotal. In this example, select GroupHeader1, as it is defined as salesperson.
- Summary Running: Whether you want to keep a running total, which adds each Subtotal to the one prior. For this example, select None.
- Summary Type: The type of calculation being performed. For an Average you should select SubTotal. If you are averaging a section of values on the report. If you are finding an average value for the whole report, select Grand Total.
- Click Save, and then click Run Report