The following procedure defines how to create a new report in the Advanced Report Writer (ARW). Steps 5-9 are optional, with links to help you filter criteria, customize the layout, share the report, schedule automatic run and delivery times, and add notes.
You can also use this procedure to modify an existing report.
- Go to Analytics > Advanced Report Writer.
- Click New.
- In the Report box, type a descriptive name for the report, and then press the Tab key.
- Choose the data that you want to include in your report:
- From the Primary File list, select the dictionary that contains the data you want to include in your report.
- All data available within the Primary File dictionary you chose appears in the Available Fields list below. Hover over any field to get a definition.
- To make it easier to find the data you want, click the Filter icon, and then type the label, for example, Salesperson.
- Click and drag the data that you want to include into the report into the Report Fields panel.
- Repeat for each data field you want to include.
- If you want to sort by one of the data fields, choose Ascending or Descending from the Sort column. For example, if you want to sort by sales dollars, starting with the highest, set the Sort on YTD Sales to Descending. You may also sort by two criteria, for example Salesperson, and then YTD Sales.
- Filter the results as described in Filter ARW report results by specific criteria.
- By default, ARW generates a layout based on the data you have included in your report. If you want to customize this layout, clear the Generate Layout check box on the Definition page. Then to fine tune the look of the report, see Customize the report layout.
- If you want to run and deliver the reports on a set schedule, see Schedule ARW reports
- If you want to share your report and set access levels, see Make your ARW report available for others
- If you want to add notes to help future users customize your report, see Add developer notes to an ARW report.
- When you have finished making changes, you can validate the results by clicking Run Preview.
Note: The Run Preview provides a quick example of report formatting but does not include all of the data. Be sure to save and Run Report to view your data in its entirety.
When you are satisfied with the results, click Save.
You can always come back to the report and regenerate it manually by clicking Run Report.