When creating assemblies, you can configure Inform ERP to assign serial numbers automatically to each assembly. This feature enables you to serialize parts that were not previously serialized, so you can track them through their product lifecycle.
For example, often in the Fluid Power industry, customers will purchase custom made hoses. When something goes wrong, they need a replacement. By assigning a serial number to the original hose assembly, you can track down the exact components used and recreate the assembly. If the problem was due to a faulty part, then serial numbers also enable you to track all hoses that were made using that material and contact those customers to determine if their parts require correction as well.
As part of the serial number process, Inform also offers you the ability to print serial number labels for each of those serialized products.
- Create an assembly as described in Compile a basic assembly or create that assembly as a kit as described in Produce kits
- On the Assemblies page of the Product Master, select the Auto Generate Serial Numbers check box.
- Note that this selection will automatically select the Serial Number Required check box on the General page of the Product Master as well.
- Save your product.
- Create a sales order as described in Create a sales order.
- Add the assembly for which you selected Auto Generate Serial Numbers to the order.
- Complete the order details and Save.
Inform ERP automatically generates serial numbers for the assembly in the format <ordernumber>.<quantity>, assigns them, and attaches them as if the warehouse picked them already. So a sales order for 20 assemblies and the order number 99999 will generate serial numbers 99999.1. . .99999.20.
- In the future, you can find assemblies in the serial number batch using Product Serial Number Inquiry. See Track inventory by serial number
- If you have configured a Serial Label Printer, then when you ship confirm on account orders, or print point of sale orders, you will see the Print Serial Labels pop-up, from which you can print all serial number labels now.
- Create a kit with auto serial number generation as described above.
- Create a work order for the kit as described in Produce kits.
- Once the kit is built, close the work order by entering the Completed By name.
- Click Save.
If you have configured a Serial Label Printer, then you will see the Print Serial Labels pop-up, from which you can print all serial number labels now. See an example, above.
Now when you sell a kit, you will be able to track that it was produced as part of a work order for multiple kits in the same serial number range.
You can print serial number labels in advance, before the order is ship confirmed or printed, or before the kit has been completed. To do this, you must assign a picker to the order. For more information on how to track status, assign a picker, and print serial number labels, see Assign the order picker to track status