When you split commission by product detail, the salespeople will split commission only when certain products/types of products are sold. In this case, the splits will be set up entirely in the commission matrix and the salesperson code on the order will not need to be changed to a shared code. This type of split is called a Split Commission by Product Detail, and only applies if you are paying commission based on product detail.
You can also configure a straight split among salespeople alone. To learn how to configure this type of split commission, see Split commissions among salespeople.
There are two prerequisites for setting up a split commission by product detail:
- Your system must be set to pay commission based on product detail: see Salesman Commission by Product Detail in Default sales commission settings. When this option is disabled, commissions are calculated based on the total order; when this option is enabled, commissions are calculated based on the total for each line item. Do not change this option without consulting a DDI System Customer Care specialist.
- Each salesperson splitting commission must have their own Salesperson Code set. If you need to create a code, see Add, update, or delete a salesperson.
Once both criteria are met, follow the steps below to set up a split commission formula. For this example, we'll set up a split commission each time a product from the Laundry Care Product Line is sold.
- Follow steps 1-7 of Add a sales commission formula making sure you
- Choose the Customer, Product Number, Buy Line, Price Group, Product Line, or Major Group that the commission formula should apply to.
- Set all commission breaks. In this example, use Based On=Gross Profit percent, and a 20% commission on a 1% sale.
- Under Split Commission, choose how the commission will be split:
- To add a row to the Split Commissions table, click the Add Split Commission button.
- In the Salesman Code cell, type or search for the code associated with one of the salespeople on the split. The Salesman Name autopopulates.
- In the % of Commission box, type the percent of the commission that this Salesperson will receive. All splits must add to 100%.
- Press the Tab key to enter additional splits, and then click Save.
If you need this change to apply retroactively, you can recalculate your commissions: see Recalculate sales commissions.