Warehouses store and manage your inventory, whether in physical warehouse locations or virtual holding such as drop ship warehouses. Proper setup and maintenance of your warehouses is critical to every aspect of Inform ERP from inventory management, demand and forecasting, to accounting and reconciliation, to sales and shipments. Therefore, work closely with DDI Customer Care to set up your warehouses and modify them only under their guidance.
You can set up the following types of warehouses:
- Warehouse: A standard warehouse at a physical location. Instructions for editing one are below.
- Drop Ship: A warehouse for tracking inventory that ships from the vendor directly to the customer. The merchandise is never in your warehouse. See Work with a drop ship warehouse
- Showroom: A virtual warehouse for tracking inventory that you keep in your showroom and making it available for transfer to other warehouses. See Set up a showroom warehouse.
- Returned Goods: A virtual warehouse for processing returned goods. Once processed, you will transfer to a physical warehouse. See Work with a return goods warehouse.
- Consign from Vendor: A virtual warehouse where you track products that you hold on consignment from the vendor. See Work with a vendor consignment warehouse.
- Consign to Customer: A virtual warehouse where you track products consigned at a customer's location. See Set up a customer consignment warehouse.
Note that you should never delete a warehouse. All warehouse history needs to be maintained for proper business accounting. Rather, remove or transfer all inventory from the warehouse, and then make it inactive.
If you need to create a new warehouse, contact DDI Customer Care.
- In the Warehouse box, click and then click the warehouse you want to edit.
- Click Edit.
- Make sure the Short NameA short description of the warehouse. This name appears when referring to this warehouse throughout the application and in internal system reports. and AddressThe warehouse street Address, Second Line, City, State, and Zip Code. are correct.
- If you want to group this warehouse as part of a buy zone so you can analyze demand and inventory by a group of warehouses rather than one at a time or all at once, select it in Buy ZoneOptional. The warehouse buy zone. These buy zones allow you to group warehouses so that you can analyze demand and inventory on a group of warehouses rather than one at a time or all at once. Set up buy zones from File>Company>Warehouse Buy Zone.. You must set up buy zones ahead of time.
- To change the printer used in this warehouse, choose one from the Default Printer list. If you do not choose one here, the printer selected for the branch will be used.
- You should not change the Warehouse Type while editing. This option is set during creation.
- If inventory in this warehouse will be available to shoppers on your eCommerce site, and you want shoppers to see warehouse availability, select the Show Inventory on Web check box. To learn more about how this works with your eCommerce configuration, see Decide how to display inventory availability on your site.
- Update Sort OptionsDetermines how to sort printed sales orders. From the Sales Order Sort list, select Bin Location or Product Number. If you select None, then the default sort from Customer or Company Master. If you want to sort the onscreen sales order using the same sort as the printed ticket as selected here, select the Save Sort check box. as desired. Warehouse selections override those made on the customer level. See Configure default order preferences.
- To tie this warehouse specifically to your G/L Inventory account, type a two digit G/L Suffix to identify inventory transactions for this warehouse as those that should be posted to the Inventory G/L account created with this suffix. This match allows companies with multiple warehouses to more accurately reconcile their Inventory figures. Repeat with a G/L Suffix for the Cost of Goods Sold.
Assign a suffix to each warehouse except the Drop Ship and Returned Goods warehouses.
- Click Save.
Warehouses cannot be deleted due to historical transactions; therefore, if you are no longer using a warehouse, you should mark it inactive. Before you make a warehouse inactive, transfer all inventory out of the warehouse.
- Edit the warehouse as described above.
- Select the Inactive check box.
- Click Save.
- The warehouse will no longer be available in any Warehouse selection lists through Inform.