You can import data from a spreadsheet into the custom fields you have defined in the Custom Control Builder. If you are looking to import information into additional Product Master fields, see Import product information from a spreadsheet.
- Spreadsheet must be saved as a CSV (.csv) file.
- Data must include one field that can be used to match to existing system records. Customer Number, Product Number, or Vendor Number are the most common fields to match. This data field on the spreadsheet must exactly match the data field in Inform into which you want to import. For example, if your Product Number in Inform reads "1000-AB" the Product Number on the spreadsheet must also read "1000-AB". If your Customer Number in Inform reads 0001547, the spreadsheet must read 0001547, Make sure to include the leading 0's.
- For custom fields that are set as check boxes; the spreadsheet should reflect a Y for records where the box should be checked and an N for records where the box should not be checked.
- The Customer, Vendor, or Product file to which you are importing must already exist in the system to have their information updated. If you are looking to create new products from a spreadsheet, see Import product information from a spreadsheet.
- Go to File > Company > Custom Field Import.
- From the File Name list, choose the type of data you will be updating, such as Customer, Product, or Vendor.
The Custom Field list updates with the custom fields you have already defined for this data. If blank, this is your first custom field for this file.
- In the Import File Path box, click and choose the csv file containing the data that you want to import.
The Import Data list displays the columns and values in the file.
- Identify the field that contains the information that you will match on for the import. This is typically the Customer Number, Vendor Number, or Product Number. For contacts, this may be the email address or the Customer Number and Contact ID Number.
On the left side of the window, find the Match On field and select the field that you will match the report on from the drop down menu in the Mapped column. In the example shown below, the import will use the Customer Number field to match the data in the spreadsheet to the correct account.
- The available custom control fields appear below the Match On field. Use the drop down menu in the Map field to indicate the corresponding field on your spreadsheet (shown below). If the custom field is not included on the spreadsheet, leave the Map cell blank.
- After you have mapped the fields, click Import.
- On the verification message, click OK .
- When the import finishes, Inform ERP displays the results. If any records were locked during the import, identify and unlock those records using the System Users & Locks screen under the Utilities menu. You can rerun the import as needed.