You can configure how sales orders and invoices are handled by default per customer. These defaults may be overridden at the time of order entry,
- To set Sales and Invoice Options, go to the Customer Master and create or edit a customer as described in Configure default order preferences.
- Click the General tab along the bottom of the page.
Set sales order defaults
- Branch The default branch of your company that will manage sales to this customer. Orders will begin in this default branch regardless of the branch in which the order is created.
- Salesman The salesman who owns this customer account. This salesman will be the default for all orders placed by this customer.
- Ship Via The default shipping method for this customer.
- Category The pricing category for the customer. This information is useful for reporting.
- Territory The sales territory to which this customer belongs
- Order TypeThe default order type that will be entered on this customer's sales orders.
- Parent Pricing The account number of the customer whose pricing structure will apply to this customer. You can use this option to group multiple customer accounts together under the same pricing structure. Price Matrix formula prices and quoted prices are automatically shared among all of a parent's child accounts, however each customer account maintains a separate sales history. For this reason, parent pricing does not work well if you are using the customer's Last Price Paid as the default in your Sales Orders. It will only use pricing set in the Price Matrix or on Price Quotes to the parent account, and not the parent account's Sales History, which is where the last paid price is stored.
- Parent Cust Part # The account number of the customer whose part numbers will apply to this customer. This option allows you to store part numbers among multiple customer accounts, making it easy to maintain one large list of part numbers. Part numbers are shared among all of a parent's child accounts.
- Ship To The default location where the customer's orders will be shipped. Ship To locations may have assigned salespeople, tax rates, ship vias, and other details. If blank, then the address on the Main page will be used.
- Keyword Additional information used for searching this customer. If Inform finds an exact match for the keyword, it will return only customers with that keyword. This keyword is useful if a company changes its name, as you can specify the old name as a keyword and still find it easily.
- Type The type of customer, for example Home Owner, Independent Contractor, etc. Use this information as a basis for grouping customers to send mailings.
- Sort Code Defines how the customer is sorted among others in lists such as customer statement. for example, to have John Smith Company Sorted by Smith rather than John, type Smith here.
- Price Matrix % An additional markup over the price matrix price.
- EDI Number Electronic Data Interchange Number: a reference number for sending and receiving orders electronically. EDI integrations are custom integrations and require consultation with DDI to enable. If you are interested in using an EDI service, please contact DDI Customer Care at 203.364.1200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.: See also, Set up and use EDI .
- EDI Start Date The date on which the customer began using the EDI interface. Enter this date at the same time as the customer's EDI Number.: See also, Set up and use EDI
Some fields may be required when creating a new customer.
Set invoice options
- Options on the Sales Order/Invoice Options panel carry through to the final invoice.
- Optionally, enable the following options:
- B/O Allowed Allows back orders. If cleared, the Sales Orders display a warning that the customer does not accept back orders. However, if the Company Master setting "Invoice Update cancel B/O based on Customer flag" is enabled, then clearing this option will cancel back orders rather than display the warning message.
- Cust P/O # Req Requires a customer purchase order number on all sales orders for the customer.
- Auto Margin Price Automatically updates margin pricing when you perform a Customer Margin Price Update.
- Sort Sales Orders Automatically sorts printed sales orders or worksheets by Bin Location or Product Number as opposed to line sequence number. Use this sort to help your warehouse pickers locate products. A customer specific setting overrides the branch sort.
- Ship Complete Automatically marks sales orders entered as Ship Complete, which means that the order will not be shipped until all product quantities are available.
- Show Invoice Disc Displays the list price, discount percentage, and net price on invoices printed for this customer.
- Suppress Header Hides your company's header information on printed sales order and invoices for this customer.
- Require Ordered By Requires that the ordered by option is completed on all orders. If this check box is shaded and disabled rather then checked or blank, then it is controlled by the related setting in the Company Master. That setting used.
- Exclude Demand Excludes this customer's order history from demand forecasting.
- Invoice Copies The number of copies of the invoice that will print each time an order is invoiced for the customer.
- Pay Commissions The basis of the commission that the salesman receives. Either Company Default: based on the setting in "Salesman Commissions based on Sales/Paid Invoices" on the Pricing and Costing page of the Company Master; or Sales: based on the amount of the customer's sales orders; or Paid Invoices: based on the amount of the customer's paid invoices.
- Product Cert Codes Allows the customer to purchase those items with the Product Certification Codes listed here (separated by commas). These alphanumeric codes correspond to those entered for a specific item on the Product Master. See also Configure general product options.
- Auto B/O Release Allows backordered products to be released to the customer automatically.
- Sort Ship ConfirmationAutomatically sorts line items on the ship confirmation screen by Bin Location or Product Number. Consider using this feature along with the Sort Sales Order, thereby allowing the warehouse picker to review the ship confirmation screen in the same order as the printed order. Note that this option affects only the screen ship confirm; the printed ship confirmation will still sort with the standard line sequence number, in the order products were entered.
- Sort & Save Line Items Applies the sort order selected in Sales Order Sort permanently, thereby resorting all onscreen and printed sales orders, worksheets, ship confirmations, invoices, and order recaps.
- Print Prices on S/C Determines if pricing should print on the Shipment Confirmation. This document is used as a packing slip. Prices are often hidden because corrections may still be made before invoicing or sensitive pricing should not be shared. It should be reserved for the billing department who handles the invoice. Note that if you set this option differently than you set the "Print Price on S/O" option, be sure that the "Default Print Prices in S/C" in the Company Master (under the Sales tab), is set to "N". Otherwise it may carry over the setting from the "Print Price on S/O" field.
- Print Prices on S/O Prints prices on customer sales orders by default. You may modify this setting on an individual sales order before printing.
- Auto Prompt SDS Prompts SD Sheets to print when orders for this customer are ship confirmed. All available SD Sheets will be listed for products on the order. SDS will default to print based on the date that the sheet was updated compared to the last date that the customer purchased the item. SDS must be linked to products through the Product Master to print at Shipping Confirmation.
- Multi Shipment Invoice Use multi-shipment, or consolidated invoicing. This process allows you to create a single sales order that you can ship against multiple times. The customer receives one invoice that includes all shipments.
- Special Instructions Type any special instructions that apply to all sales orders for this customer. These instructions appear each time you enter a sales order for the customer.
- Customer Part # RequiredRequires that any products added to sales orders for this customer have Customer Part Number assigned on the Part Numbers tab. See also Assign customer part numbers by product.
- Options on the Sales Order/Invoice Options panel carry through to the final invoice.
- Set send options
Decide how sales orders, invoices, and other documentation will be sent to the customer.
- Sales Order Automatically prompts the user who enters the order to fax or email an order confirmation to the customer. In Final page of the Sales Order screen, the Send button blinks red once the order has been saved. When the user clicks on the Send button, the Fax/Email window will display. Choose one of the following actions: "None" - the Send button will not flash. Users can still click on it to send an order confirmation, as needed. "Fax" - the Send button will flash when the order is saved. When the user clicks the Send button, the Fax/Email window automatically selects the Fax option and displays the default Sales contact listed under the Contacts tab in the Customer Master. If there is no default Sales contact the system will use the default fax number listed under the Information tab in the Customer Master. "Email" - the Send button will flash when the order is saved. When the user clicks the Send button, the Fax/Email window will automatically select the Email option and display the default Sales contact listed under the Contacts tab in the Customer Master. If there is no default Sales contact the system will use the default email address listed under the Information tab in the Customer Master. "Automatic Email" - the Order Confirmation will be sent automatically upon saving the order. This will be sent to the first available e-mail address found in the following order: Ordered By Contact>Ship to Contact>Sales Contact>Accounting Contact>Customer.
- Auto Ship Conf Email Emails a the shipment confirmation upon Save to the first available email address found from in the following hierarchy: Order By Contact > Ship To Contact > Accounting Contact > Customer. The email includes a PDF copy of the confirmation as well as tracking numbers. Note that this option will send an email every time the order is saved.
- Separate Email per Invoice Sends separate emails for each invoice sent via an overnight batch.
- Send POS Invoice OvernightSends invoices to this customer by email or fax, so it is received overniight.
- Invoice How the customer will receive invoices. "None" - the customer's invoices will be printed. "Fax" - the customer's invoices will be faxed to the default Accounting contact's fax number. If there is no default Accounting contact, the fax number under the Information tab will be used. Invoices are faxed overnight in a batch with other customer invoices. You can also set a specific time for the invoice to be sent using the Send Invoice @ Time field directly below. "Email" - the customer's invoices will be emailed to the default Accounting contact(s) email address. If there is no default Accounting contact, the email address under the Information tab will be used. Invoices are emailed overnight in a batch with other customer invoices. You can also set a specific time for the invoice to be sent using the Send Invoice @ Time field directly below. "Batch Print Later" - the customer's invoices will be posted when the daily invoicing procedure is run, but will not be printed until a later time. This option is frequently used if you only mail out your invoices on a specific day of the week, but want to post them to the customer's account before then.
- Send Time If you chose to fax or email invoices in the option above, then choose a preferred time for the send (based on your time zone). To include the invoices in the standard fax and email nightly batch job, leave this option blank.
- Statement Type The default statement type that will be printed for the customer when you print batch customer statements. Regular Statement - Displays your customer invoices and cash receipts. Balance Forward - Accumulates all previous balances and displays them as the Balance Forward amount at the top of the statement. This also displays payments received towards that balance. New invoices and payments appear beneath these amounts. Do Not Print Statement - Excludes the customer statement from being printed, unless specifically ordered.
- Price Letter How the customer receives Price Letters: None: letters are not printed or sent. Print: letters are printed. Fax: letters are faxed to the default Sales contact's fax number. If this is not available, then the fax number on the Information page is used. Email: letters are emailed to the default Sales contact. If this is not available, then the email on the Information page is used. You can override this default when you generate the letters by selecting the "Print (Bypass Customer Options)" check box on Customer Contract Price Letters. Sales>Pricing>Customer Contract Price Letters.
- S/O Miscellaneous Charge Programs Assign miscellaneous charge programs as configured in File>Company>Miscellaneous Charge Program. to the customer. These programs can auto apply fees such as a Fuel Surcharge or Small Order Fee to customers as a specific net amount or a percentage of the merchandise total. There is no limit to the number of programs that may be assigned to a customer.
- Restocking Policy Charges a restocking percent for returned items. Assign a Miscellaneous Code (one that posts to the proper General Ledger account) and then type a percent. When you place a return for the customer, select the option to "Apply Restocking Charge." Note that any percentage set here on a customer overrides the optional company default restocking percentage.